[WikiEN-l] Using Wikipedia to out pseudonymous Erwin James, Guardian writ...

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Fri Apr 24 20:02:52 UTC 2009

In a message dated 4/24/2009 6:30:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
nawrich at gmail.com writes:

> The OR policy includes reference to "original synthesis" - which is not
> creating a primary source, but using available sources to draw an original
> conclusion. In this case, connecting the dots is absolutely original
> analysis leading to an original conclusion. If a reliable source doesn't
> say
> "These two people are the same person" then neither should we.

-----------------

That's overreading and here is why.
Omaha is in Nebraska.  Henry Fonda was born in Omaha.
Henry Fonda was born in Nebraska.
Nebraska is a state with a low population which grows mainly corn.
Henry Fonda was born in a state which grows mainly corn.

We have no source which states this.  It is a trival inference from the
known statements.  We are allows to make trivial inferences, observations,
conclusions.

If we were not, than you could not use primary sources for any purpose.
The policy was deliberately crafted so that simple statements could be drawn
even those the source does not exactly draw them.  If anyone is reading OR
differently, than the problem is with the OR language, because that was our
intent.

Will Johnson