[WikiEN-l] Knol - Our first major scandel

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Fri Apr 24 19:54:44 UTC 2009

In a message dated 4/24/2009 8:57:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
geniice at gmail.com writes:

> Mixture of copyright violation and people useing such copyvios to
> improve their ranking on some scale that I don't understand.
> Interesting cultural contrast.>>

-------------------------

Part of the scale may have been my own creation.
Some months ago I started a table of "Most Viewed Authors".
That is, those authors, who in total, got the highest page views across the
project.
The table shows their pageviews today, and those pageviews say last week or
last month.  This way you can see if some people are accelerating and some
are stagnating.

My idea was to use this to target those authors who are writing popular
pieces and try to see why.  It never got to step 2 and 3 and 4 because I
uncovered numerous problems in the metric.  The Knol programmers have been fixing
those.

My knol I believe triggered one of this studies co-authors to delve deeper
into the second ranked author (by pageviews) and uncovered the copyright
violations.  That author just had really *so many* articles, that were each *so
good* that something smelled about it.

Pageviews by Author, is not the only metric in Knol.  It's just one that I
happened to pick on a while ago to work up.

Will Johnson