[WikiEN-l] Fwd: [Foundation-l] Board statement regarding biographies of l...

FT2 ft2.wiki at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 23:15:36 UTC 2009

That's true. Confirming they are the person they claim to be, is highly
important. The manner of that confirmation may well need to be private
though.
Examples: - they might need to provide personal information to do so that
has no place on the public wiki. It may relate to smear, stalking, or
harassment, where there is a positive disincentive to provide the
identifying info on wiki. Finally, they may decide to meetsomeone in person
who can verify them from a well known photo in the media - how would that be
evidenced on the wiki?

As well, a claim that verification is less important for copyright than
other things will be disputed by some.

But this is in a way a side-track into process. The basic idea, that we
verify they are who they say, and then cite from their words, seems
feasible. How exactly we verify and what standard or public detail is
provided, is "something to discuss", there will be standards we can agree
are ok, standards we agree arent, so that comes down to consensus or WMF
picking a standard we feel comfortable with.

FT2