[WikiEN-l] Edward Doran

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 23 10:27:21 UTC 2009

What I'm talking about is having to string together a chain of sources
to come to a conclusion. Here, you can dump the sources that led you
to the shipping list, but if you had had to say "because of
information in source A, we have to interpret source B this way, and
not the normal way", then it becomes less clear.

For example, to be certain you have the right Edward Doran in 1901
(and hence the family details), you would probably need another source
to confirm that he lived in Oldham.

Or to put it another way, if you hopped back through the censuses,
trying to find the name of his grandparents, for example, you increase
the risk of error (as someone who does geneaological research, you
know that already).

So how do you minimise the risk of errors in source-based research?

Carcharoth