[WikiEN-l] Citizendium vs. Wikipedia

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 20:23:49 UTC 2009

2009/4/22  <WJhonson at aol.com>:

> As far as a wiki distinguishing itself from Wikipedia, there is probably a
> niche in "child-safe", there is probably a niche in "specialized" as well.
> An expert on botany may feel more comfortable writing for Botanedia, and hob
> nobbing with her fellow experts there and probably getting credit for their
> writing as well.
> Parents may not feel comfortable with their 9 year old daughter researching
> "The Little Mermaid" on Wikipedia where we state that Hans Christian
> Anderson had a number of probable sexual issues.

I suspect there's little market demand for a "child safe" fork of
Wikipedia, or we'd have seen one. So far those pushing for such
filtering try to enact it on Wikipedia itself, presumably because it's
unsustainable elsewhere.

(That said, the Schools Wikipedia has endeavoured to keep itself nice
and filtered for classroom use, and teachers *love* it. Really love
it. As in, write in for lots of DVD copies and are encouraged to run
off DVD copies themselves. It's about the most successful repackaging
of Wikipedia so far.)

- d.