[WikiEN-l] Citizendium vs. Wikipedia

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Wed Apr 22 20:13:18 UTC 2009

I don't fully understand Citizendium's model.

If the articles are "peer-reviewed" how can they be written by "Citizens" ?
I'm assuming that it's not a tautology that a "Citizen" in Citizendium
doesn't simply mean a member already present.  The name would have no meaning
then.

I have to assume that when they named it "Citizendium" they were trying to
imply that it was a sort-of anyone can join, anyone can write.  Thus...
Citizens of the world.

But if the articles are "peer-reviewed" how do you get normal citizens to
join?

As far as a wiki distinguishing itself from Wikipedia, there is probably a
niche in "child-safe", there is probably a niche in "specialized" as well.
An expert on botany may feel more comfortable writing for Botanedia, and hob
nobbing with her fellow experts there and probably getting credit for their
writing as well.

Parents may not feel comfortable with their 9 year old daughter researching
"The Little Mermaid" on Wikipedia where we state that Hans Christian
Anderson had a number of probable sexual issues.

Will Johnson