[WikiEN-l] Citizendium vs. Wikipedia

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 19:28:32 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 7:27 AM, doc <doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Indeed would it not be great if in ten years time I can google a
> subject, easily find the wikipedia article, and then, if the subject is
> not so obscure that only Wikipedia will cover it, follow the link to the
> academically respectable Otherpedia.com article (which, indeed, is
> reliable enough to have been allowed as a source for Wikipedia)!

I think this is in fact a market opportunity for a Metapedia.  Import the
organizational / title trees of all the publically available freely licensed
encyclopedias, merge, present readers with alternate views / options /
approaches to a particular topic.  Optionally, display in parallel,
Wikipedia next to Citizendum next to Otherpedia.  Click on a hyperlink in
any and it works across all the panes.  Click on a focus tab for a
particular pane and get the wider navigation / editing / etc tabs for that
particular encyclopedia.

We could even conceptually add a function to Wikipedia, to add cross-wiki
links to other non-WP projects in the same manner as we do to foreign
language Wikipedias now.  Why should we not have a link to Citizendum or
Otherpedia.com on the WP page?  We don't lose anything doing that.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com