[WikiEN-l] We've been overtaken.

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Apr 22 16:19:30 UTC 2009

Ian Woollard wrote:
> On 21/04/2009, Scientia Potentia est wrote:
>
>> I'm not too concerned. Their notability standards seem to be very loose, and
>> they have few of the trappings that we emphasize: BLP, neutrality, reliable
>> sourcing, brilliant prose, etc.
>>
> That's exactly the kind of thing that the Encyclopedia Britannica said
> about the Wikipedia!

I wouldn't be too concerned about it either. This is a volunteer project
so, unlike with the folks at EB, nobody's livelihood depends on it.
Competition is a healthy development, and to everyone's benefit.  Free
culture principles should be the one unifying criterion for all these
sites. In a free culture environment all such projects should be free to
borrow from each other.  The others would certainly not be bound by NPOV
or the other listed features, but the right and ability of readers to
compare different sites allows them the opportunity to determine for
themselves exactly what is neutral.

Ec