[WikiEN-l] Rod Liddle, Spectator, on his Wikipedia article

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sat Apr 18 21:51:18 UTC 2009

Andrew Turvey wrote:
> Criminal sanctions takes it a step higher of course, but it's a tool open to us and I think we should consider using it when we can and when it's appropriate. You're probably right that this isn't exactly the right case - but I still think it's quite shocking and damaging to our reputation to hear a fairly mainstream British magazine bragging about vandalism in this way.

Sadly, once a judge or jury member has understood that our complaining
about vandalism is equivalent to complaining about someone driving off
in your car when you left it unlocked and with keys in the ignition and
with a sign on the bonnet saying "you can drive this car right now", our
tally of successful civil actions may be low, and criminal actions can
be forgotten.  The common sense of the situation is that we have to make
our model of open editing work, rather than relying on the legal system
to cover its deficiencies.  And certainly I have taken the line with The
Spectator that their reputation is rather more under threat than ours.

Charles