[WikiEN-l] Lies, damned lies, and statistics

Durova nadezhda.durova at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 18:35:07 UTC 2009

Sanger's claim of cofoundership is implicitly a claim of credit for
Wikipedia's success.  The idea of applying a wiki editing environment
outside the sphere of software development was a radical one and a powerful
one, but as anyone who has worked on other wikis knows that concept alone is
no guarantee of success.

Sanger's criticisms of Wikipedia's structure and dynamics are well
reasoned.  One of the pitfalls of Wikipedia, though, is how easy it is to
kid oneself into thinking one understands it better than one does.  By the
time Citizendium launched Wikipedia was resolving elements of Sanger's most
salient criticisms through other means than he envisioned.  The disruptive
editing guideline is an example.  That's not particular to Sanger: Wikipedia
is just too big and fast-moving for any one person to keep pace.  Last fall
when Jimbo withdrew an old affirmation about having an article for every
episode of *The Simpsons*, the obvious response was to link the title of
every *Simpsons* episode FA (Wikipedia has quite a few).

Sanger's outlook could be characterized as a belief that the way to achieve
quality is to pursue it.  Wikipedia has gotten where it is by allowing
quality to overrun it.

Take an average article today:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_tree

Compare to where it was in fall 2006:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Yucca_brevifolia&oldid=79111365

Cats can be taught to play 'Fetch'; the secret is to let the cat teach you
to play 'Throw'.

-Durova the Cat Herder

http://durova.blogspot.com/