[WikiEN-l] Rod Liddle, Spectator, on his Wikipedia article

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 23:52:40 UTC 2009

2009/4/17 Ian Woollard <ian.woollard at gmail.com>:
> 2009/4/17 Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com>
>
>> Whether the law applies is moot, for a few reasons but including the fact
>> that it appears he didn't do anything except use Wikipedia as a prop for
>> his
>> column.
>>

> Well, he also does appear to be libelling the wikipedia, and he's doing it
> from the UK, which is the easiest country to prove libel; the truth isn't
> even an absolute defence against libel in the UK.

I discussed that with Mike Godwin and he pointed out that libel law
applies to individuals, it doesn't really protect organisations (I
think there is another part of law that does, but I can't remember
what it is called). Also, the truth is an absolute defence under UK
libel law for something like this - as far as I am aware, the only
time it isn't is for spent convictions (and even then, there is a
public interest clause).