[WikiEN-l] Rod Liddle, Spectator, on his Wikipedia article

Phil Nash pn007a2145 at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Apr 16 22:01:14 UTC 2009

WJhonson at aol.com wrote:
>> In a message dated 4/16/2009 2:17:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>> andrewrturvey at googlemail.com writes:
>>

>>> Under the Computer Misuse Act 1990, deliberately making an
>>> unauthorized modification to computer data which impairing the
>>> reliability of the data>>
>>
>> -----------
>>
>> "Unauthorized" implies that there is an "authorized".
>> As far as Wikipedia is concerned I'm not sure we have an authority
>> who is granting rights to make particular changes.

Sorry, there is a misunderstanding here; Section 1 of the 1990 Act (about
which I have written extensively) criminalises "unauthorised access, knowing
this is unauthorised".

Our mantra, "This is the encyclopedia that anyone can edit" would seem to be
a perfect defence, if not on the actual point of "authority", certainly on
the point of the requisite state of mind. The position is somewhat different
for users who have been specifically blocked and/or banned, but as yet, we
haven't felt it necessary to consider criminal proceedings, although one or
two obvious cases spring to mind.

The other considerations are (1) whether the Police and Crown Prosecution
Service would think it a good idea to spend much public money on what is a
summary offence, triable only by magistrates, and with a maximum sentence of
six months imprisonment (and not the five years previously mentioned; that
is reserved for fraudulent purposes), and (2) whether the media would not
see such action by us as nut-cracking by sledgehammer and pillory us for
taking disproportionate action. Arguably counter-productive in the wrong
hands, perhaps.