[WikiEN-l] Citizendium

wjhonson at aol.com wjhonson at aol.com
Wed Apr 15 01:53:15 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Larsen <larsen.thomas.h at gmail.com>
To: English Wikipedia <wikien-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
Sent: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 6:38 pm
Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Citizendium

It is my understanding that Citizendium requires users to submit a
brief biography (a) to help other authors and editors know with whom
they are working and (b) ensure accountability (a biography in
addition to a real name can be used to almost perfectly identify a
person).

--------------------------------------

I don't see that at all.
In my biography I write : "I was first a world-known plastic surgeon,
but then I decided to go into soft porn.  After that I wrote 12 books
on nematodes."

How does that identify me?  You can write anything you want.  Wikipedia
also has a biographical area (your user page), but they don't compel
you to fill it out.

I wonder if anyone can name any other website at all, that requires you
to fill out a biography before they will allow you to log in?  I don't
mean check boxes and short fields (like city, birthdate, etc), I mean a
free-form field.

This is the first time I've ever encountered a site, that requires you
to fill in a free-form field, then has a human read that field, and
decide on the basis of that, whether or not they will grant you access.

Will Johnson