[WikiEN-l] An open letter to Jimmy Wales

Phil Nash pn007a2145 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Apr 10 22:57:02 UTC 2009

Larry Sanger wrote:
>> I'm sure I'll have more to say about posts to this list from the
>> last 24 hours or so, but I did want to respond to this.

>>> it out away

>>> Hear, hear (to both of you)!
>>
>> You are misunderstanding what's going on here.  Jimmy Wales has been
>> lying about me and my role in this project.  This is a SERIOUS
>> PROBLEM, and I frankly resent your implicit dismissal of my concerns.
>>
>> This isn't "just more of the same"; I am *not* asking for the
>> community's resolution on the issue of "who is founder."  That
>> really *would* be inane, but it isn't what I am doing.  You would
>> know this, by the way, if you had actually read my open letter to
>> Jimmy Wales.
>>
>> I am speaking out first time, publicly, by saying that Jimmy Wales
>> has been lying about me in a way that is self-serving.  If you don't
>> care about that, that's your prerogative.  You don't need to
>> announce to the world that you don't care.  There *are* a lot of
>> people who *do* care.  I'm speaking to *those* people.
>>
>> Moreover, I assert that it is my right to raise hell not only on
>> this list, but also on Jimmy Wales' user talk page--if this is
>> really an open, transparent, democratic project devoted to free
>> speech.

It is not, and you have no "right" to anything other than as an ordinary
user of Wikipedia. [[WP:SOAPBOX]] and [[WP:POINT]] spring to mind. Your
personal disagreements have no place either in Wikipedia or on this list, so
I strongly advise you to take them elsewhere. As an Admin, I'd have no
qualms about blocking you indefinitely if this does not immediately stop.
Whereas you might also have sockpuppets and meatpuppets, their blocking
would follow as sure as night follows day. But the bottom line is that this
disruption is unseemly and intolerable. Some of us have an encyclopedia to
build, and personal disputes are inimical to that purpose.

Please stop wasting our time.