[WikiEN-l] 1911EB bites back - and DNB

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Tue Apr 7 13:22:09 UTC 2009

I ought to be used to this by now; but I have just found a 1911
Britannica article we have not imported or covered (see [[William
Stewart of Houston]]). These almost always crop up when the
disambiguation of common names, such as "William Stewart", was not
exhaustive in the checking.

Anyway, this might be a moment to mention ongoing work with another
merge, that of the old Dictionary of National Biography (DNB). I have
just reached the half-way point in doing a complete listing (with
summaries); see on [[User:Charles Matthews]]. The "raw material" for
that is in Magnus Manske's user space; I wouldn't mind help at all, but
the various types of corruption of scanned text make it a bit daunting
even with the "Concise Dictionary of National Biography" (CDNB) to hand.
In effect the 63 pages I'm producing are the content of the CDNB
summaries, restricted to the first edition (1900 and before) of the DNB.
Do ask if this seems of interest as a project.

It will all be moved into project space when it's looking more complete.
There is an ambitious Wikisource project to get the original DNB
articles posted: unlike the 1911EB, and some others we use, this work is
_not_ yet conveniently available online.  (And it is a huge resource.)

Charles