[WikiEN-l] vocabulary

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 10:01:57 UTC 2008

2008/9/4 Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com>:

> The definition of a "mécène" is not so different from the definition of
> a sponsor, though the French article hints that the "mecène" does that
> for philanthropic reasons, whilst the sponsor does that for commercial
> reasons.

The traditional distinction would be "patron" - you would talk about
so-and-so being the patron of an artist, of Michaelangelo working
under the patronage of the Pope. The patron would gain advantages,
usually prestige, and the artist would gain a living and perhaps
respectability.

But this is a bit archaic - it would seem very strange to use it in a
modern context.

Generally speaking, I'd say "donor" implies it's a simple gift, whilst
"sponsor" suggests they explicitly intend to capitalise on it.

--
- Andrew Gray
 andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk