[WikiEN-l] How to sabotage Wikipedia, for SEO spammers

geni geniice at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 20:00:55 UTC 2008

2008/11/26 Durova <nadezhda.durova at gmail.com>:
> Has anyone stopped to ask whether this is really worth it to the SEO?  In
> terms of labor and cost/benefit?
>
> Suppose for discussion that this works.  At most, it puts a very small part
> of an extremely well known website slightly lower in the rankings.  I doubt
> it's a valid assumption that if some unknown site is number 3 in the
> rankings and WP dips down to number 4, large numbers of people who would
> otherwise have gone to the most popular reference site on the Internet will
> migrate to the unknown site.

Most people don't look beyond the first three results so yes depending
on the keyword its worth it.

> Brand value counts for something.  When I'm browsing Google News and *The
> New York Times* appears fourth in the listings while a small town newspaper
> pops up at third, I'm still more likely to click on the *Times* article.
> Especially if I'm in a hurry.

What brands would you go for if looking for rather than news you were
looking for info on asbestosis compensation (I understand that
asbestosis is one of the most valuable keywords going)? Brand is
useful yes but most SEOers don't have that so SERPs position is what
they go for.

--
geni