[WikiEN-l] Changing contents by copy editors (was: What to do about our writing quality? (Relata Refero)

Relata Refero refero.relata at gmail.com
Sat May 24 20:42:35 UTC 2008

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 2:00 AM, Andries Krugers Dagneaux <
andrieskd at chello.nl> wrote:

> > [..] What is also  frequently a concern is that material is frequently
> >added to articles based on scholarly resources or books that are not
> online. >If the original addition is carefully worded to closely
> paraphrase a point >in the secondary source, a copyeditor concerned
> about >style might well - >and frequently does - come in and change that
> such that it is no longer >sufficiently faithful to the nuances in the
> source, since the copyeditor >does not have access to the source.
> >RR
>
> True, what helps against this is giving quotes of the dead tree sources
> in the footnotes.
>
> Andries

That of course helps, as you and others have pointed out; there are still,
of course, occasional cases when the single quote does not really provide
the required context, or when taken out of context can be completely
misinterpreted. I think anyone working in contentious areas would have had
some experience of that nature.

RR