[WikiEN-l] Durova's real name

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Tue May 20 21:40:40 UTC 2008

In a message dated 5/19/2008 10:31:33 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
morven at gmail.com writes:

What's  missing from this discussion is why you're asking.

Is there an actual  reason you want to be able to use her real name (or
anyone else's) - or is  this simply a theoretical issue?>>

---------------------------------

There is a real editor, who after thousands of useful edits in-wiki is now
indefinitely blocked until he agrees to never mention Durova's real name  again.

Whether or not such an agreement is useful to the project, the force used  to
ensure the editor complies seems very heavy to me.  Since Durova herself
named herself, it does not seem out-of-procedure that we *could* as well.   That
is not the same as saying we *should* or we *must*, only that, if an editor
does so, since she did so herself and her interviewed still resides on YouTube
and she herself has evidently done nothing to have it removed, it seems
anti-project to indef a long-term contrib simply for that reason solely.

Durova and I have had our moments of disagreement, and our moments of
agreement.  I have no problem with her using or not using her real name, or  anyone
else doing so.

My sole radar-raising was about the method of forced compliance with
something that seems to me, gray.

Will Johnson

favorites at AOL Food.