[WikiEN-l] They didn't attach the GFDL!!!

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Sun May 4 21:09:05 UTC 2008

In a message dated 5/4/2008 2:03:19 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
thomas.dalton at gmail.com writes:

Yeah,  it's pretty academic. You'll note that my first email to this
thread  started with the word "technically". I know that in practise
people aren't  very strict in enforcing the GFDL, but that doesn't
change what the license  actually says.>>

The problem lies in consistent application of the interpretation.  If  we
ignore mirrors who are already ignoring any attribution other then "from the
Wikipedia article such-and-so" then we have no one to blame for that.

If we force any re-distributor of mass-market to list *all* authors then we
will have zero redistributors of mass market.  So we should simply say, we
don't allow redistributions to mass market instead of trying to create a
situation where people think they can, and then get slammed for trying it.

If we as authors are going to want attribution to ourselves, we should just
make our own wikis in the first place.  I have no problem with the  work I've
done within Wikipedia, being attributed simply to "Wikipedia".   I've formed
the opinion that true excellence can only be realized solely, not in  the
collective.  So our work is essentially comprehensive, but  mediocre.  Global yet
mundane :)

Hmm I should really add that to my article on Ayn.

Will Johnson

favorites at AOL Food.