[WikiEN-l] LA Times article / Advertising in Wikipedia

Tony Sidaway tonysidaway at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 00:33:07 UTC 2008

On 10/03/2008, jossi fresco <jossif at gmail.com> wrote:
> In regard to today's article on the Los Angeles Times about Wikipedia and
>  funding, I am sure that this has been discussed in the past, but it is not
>  about time we look into this dispassionately?
>
>  Would it really be the "end of Wikipedia" to have a "Sponsored links"
>  section as a subsection of the "External links" section on articles in which
>  two or three Google ad words could be placed?

I've never understood why Wikipedia Foundation chooses to do without
the huge advertising revenue it could generate from the content.  It
could easily run a non-advertising website in parallel for the couple
of hundred purists who want an ad-free content server.  Sooner or
later, the Foundation will bit the bullet and do what needs to be
done, or it will simply go under.