[WikiEN-l] [Foundation-l] CAS Discourages Using SciFinder to Help Curate ...

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Mon Mar 10 16:32:24 UTC 2008

In a message dated 3/10/2008 9:20:30 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
cdhowie at gmail.com writes:

I have  recorded a song digitally, and as such it is a really long
number.  It  is a fact that that number represents my song and uniquely
identifies  it.  Now go tell the courts that you can distribute that
number to  whomever you please.>>
-------------------------------
Moot.  Yor number is merely a transformation of your copyrighted  song.  It's
a derivative product, which, in its body, contains the full  knowledge of the
entire copyrighted piece.

It retains the same copyright as the original.  Same as if you had
translated your work into French.

However, if you give your song a catalog number, which only identifies it
within your inventory, that number is not copyrighted.  It's not derivative
from your work, its merely an identifier.  Identifiers are not  copyrightable.
They represent no new, original, artistic,  accomplishement.

Will Johnson