[WikiEN-l] What is happening to the community

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu Mar 6 17:31:41 UTC 2008

geni wrote

> Monopoly of force is best dealt with by making "you do not use admin
> tools in an editing conflict you are involved in" into an absolute. No
> excuses regardless of the rightness or otherwise of the action in the
> grand scheme of things

I agree with this much. The bigger issue is more like this: we give admins plenty of discretion (and I think we should). This has often been taken as "admins set their own terms of engagement". But that's not acceptable in the same way. If you have enough of admins learning from high-profile admins, then there is a bias for shifting the whole terms of engagement thing to, for example, a theory that "admins should stamp on any disruption". Not so.

By the way, TWNGA (There Was No Golden Age). It always was scratchy.

> Splitting into Sub communities. Accept that this is unstoppable. This
> being the case we will need to find ways to make sure than conflicts
> between members of different sub communities don't turn into conflicts
> between those sub communities. We will need to find a way to
> rehabilitate problematical sub communities and finally find ways to
> make sure the lone mavericks can co-exist peacefully with the sub
> communities.

Gah - I think this is about site politics, really. The main antidote really is to get back to work. I mean the painstaking business of writing the next million articles, and cleaning up the worst million articles. That's the way to improve the atmosphere.

Charles