[WikiEN-l] Jimmy Wales in the news

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 5 12:30:39 UTC 2008

on 3/5/08 3:12 AM, David Gerard at dgerard at gmail.com wrote:

> On 05/03/2008, Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net> wrote:
>> on 3/4/08 7:11 PM, David Gerard at dgerard at gmail.com wrote:
>
>>> (Hey everyone! There's lots more stuff to write about! See the list at
>>> the bottom of [[WP:WIP]] for ideas!)
>
>> Eager to change to subject, David? Now, why would that be?
>

> 'Cos it's a completely stupid thread, IMO, with exceedingly little
> relevance to writing an encyclopedia. I don't expect that will
> actually lessen contributions to it in any way, but I thought it was
> better to say so than not nevertheless.
>
> Also, I said it as a civility initiative: part of the ongoing effort
> to make wikien-l less like a sewer, and more like something someone
> working on the project would actually want to read.
>
> * Runaway pissed-off threads appear to have lessened in number of late.
> * Pointing out and enforcing that this is not unblock-l has helped *greatly*.
> * Trying to add relevant and IMO interesting thread starters whenever
> I spot one (others are most welcomed).
>
> This list should be able to be a useful thing for en:wp. As far as I
> know Wikback is working quite well in this regard - but I just can't
> stand working with forums, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. There's
> a lot of en:wp old hands here who have experience to lend to the
> project, having too low a signal:noise ratio has already driven off
> too many. I'd like to reverse that.

David,

Civility is not censorship; it is not what you talk about, but how you say
it. As I understand this List, it is for discussing all issues related to
the English Wikipedia Project, and the Community that is affected by them;
and trust in its leadership should certainly be one of those issues. The
Community should be able to openly discuss all of the laundry that belongs
to it - both clean and dirty. This way, we may not always like what we hear,
but we can always trust that we are hearing it all.

Marc