[WikiEN-l] Jimmy Wales in the news

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 08:12:16 UTC 2008

On 05/03/2008, Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net> wrote:
> on 3/4/08 7:11 PM, David Gerard at dgerard at gmail.com wrote:

>  > (Hey everyone! There's lots more stuff to write about! See the list at
>  > the bottom of [[WP:WIP]] for ideas!)

> Eager to change to subject, David? Now, why would that be?

'Cos it's a completely stupid thread, IMO, with exceedingly little
relevance to writing an encyclopedia. I don't expect that will
actually lessen contributions to it in any way, but I thought it was
better to say so than not nevertheless.

Also, I said it as a civility initiative: part of the ongoing effort
to make wikien-l less like a sewer, and more like something someone
working on the project would actually want to read.

* Runaway pissed-off threads appear to have lessened in number of late.
* Pointing out and enforcing that this is not unblock-l has helped *greatly*.
* Trying to add relevant and IMO interesting thread starters whenever
I spot one (others are most welcomed).

This list should be able to be a useful thing for en:wp. As far as I
know Wikback is working quite well in this regard - but I just can't
stand working with forums, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. There's
a lot of en:wp old hands here who have experience to lend to the
project, having too low a signal:noise ratio has already driven off
too many. I'd like to reverse that.

- d.