[WikiEN-l] Jimmy Wales in the news

Alec Conroy alecmconroy at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 09:30:57 UTC 2008

The Rachel Marsden issue is a non-story.  Obviously a lapse in
judgement for Jimbo to intervene on her behalf, even if he did it
through the correct channels, just because like it or not, Jimbo isn't
a normal user, and his words are given weight beyond what they should.
 What can you do but say oops?  That's why pencils have erasers.

The bigger problem are the allegations mentioned in the article about
use of foundation funds.  Three specific claims are made:
-Jimbo tried to expense a $300+ bottle of wine
-Jimbo tried to expense a massage parlor visit
-Wikimedia foundation took away Jimbo's credit card.

Obviously, of it any of that were true, it would be super bad, and
nothing can be done but watch it play out.

But, far more likely, if it's false, the foundation needs to find out
that it's false, and then get that word out ASAP.  I haven't seen them
say it's not true.   I haven't looked hard, but then-- nobody else out
there is looking hard either.   If I haven't seen "the facts" on the
issue, neither has almost everyone else.

Just a thought
Alec