[WikiEN-l] Jimmy Wales in the news

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Mar 4 09:13:08 UTC 2008

Risker wrote:
> On 04/03/2008, WJhonson at aol.com <WJhonson at aol.com> wrote:
>
>> In a message dated 3/3/2008 10:18:47 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
>>
>> risker.wp at gmail.com writes:
>>
>> Meanwhile, in what might possibly be the weirdest
>> part of all this,  Jimbo's sweater is currently going for $810 with 8 days
>> go, and his  t-shirt is going for...wait for it...$15,000.  I do
>> hope  Rachel
>> Marsden has selected a fine charity to benefit from  this.>>
>>
>> ----------------------------
>> Wouldn't that be the charity of "I've been outta work for a while?"
>>
>> And does the above rise to the level of notability?
>>
>> And thirdly, how do you actually cite to Ebay?  Do they have  permalinks
>> old auctions?
>>
> As far as I know, the links are permanent; I have seen ones a couple of
> years old on other websites.
My experience with them has been that most records are removed after
three months.

If the clothing is not hers to sell, disposing of it this way could be
considered theft by conversion.  If the price were consistent with the
usual price of such items it would be a petty theft, but a price of
$15,000 or more could upgrade the offence.  The auction should be
allowed to run its full course.  At that point a suggestion that she
donate the proceeds to WMF (for which she would get a proper tax receipt
to offset the capital gain) might be an offer she can't refuse.

Ec