[WikiEN-l] ArbCom Legislation

FT2 ft2.wiki at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 06:48:02 UTC 2008

Minor correction, because I think I've been insufficiently fine grained in
this paragraph. A slight re-wording:

(Snip)

BLP is an example of this latter role. There are good reasons why BLP
matters, and yet instead of focussing on them, we have some degree of
persistent issues over the interpretation and enforcement of this norm. This
has led to editing concerns surrounding some BLP articles (or as some see
it, BLPs generally). Arbcom's role here is to identify the issue, and to
identify its best resolution within communal principles, if we are able, and
take the steps we deem necessary to ensure communal norms do in fact get
taken seriously in this most crucial type of article, as near to "all the
time" as we can. To be plain, we do that in /every/ case we hear, whether
the principle forgotten by the parties is BLP, NEUTRALITY, or some other.

That is where "serving a project to write an encyclopedia" comes into its
own. Whilst the communal voice matters, it is only half of the equation, and
sometimes (often), it needs balancing by re-affirming the other half (that
the community's role is to write an encyclopedia). Despite much discussion
and debate, and many attempts to find a working consensus by talk page and
project page posting, the community has not fully achieved what it hoped to
on BLP, and concerns persist. There is so much dispute over BLPs as a
principle, that the simple issue we all agree on as a practical requirement
- very high quality - is being insufficiently enforced. This may help remedy
that, and although there may be many approaches and many views, this along
with the guidance being drafted is the one we feel goes directly to the
point. Given the singular lack of strong and effective enforcement measures
that the community has produced for itself by dialog in the areas of
communal concern, and which are needed to back the essentials of writing
encyclopedic BLP articles to the standards aspired by the spirit of BLP
policy in contentious cases, this may help. If not, we'll try something
else.

Second paragraph slightly reworded to make clear what exactly is being
referred to here. My apologies, and consider my first email amended.

FT2