[WikiEN-l] ArbCom Legislation

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu Jun 19 15:42:35 UTC 2008

geni wrote:

> No your problem is that there are a large number of people from
> different backgrounds with very different world views who will read
> ultra vague text in very different ways.

That's an interesting point in the context of the topic of this thread.
When it comes to policy documents, there is no "authoritative
interpretation".

Let's remember a few things here. Firstly, responding to complaints of
"vagueness" by supplying huge amounts of detail comes close to "feeding
the trolls".  The editors who want it all spelled out in black and white
aren't those busy with compiling an encyclopedia (with the exception of
a few areas such as "fair use").

Secondly, we aren't talking in this thread about "policy" but what the
Arbitration Committee hands down. There you can get an "authoritative
interpretation" - ask the AC what they meant (and whether they still
mean it).

And thirdly - well, I'd see the current position as transitional.  There
are a few areas of content - maybe four distinct issues - where some
more sophisticated arrangements are going to be required by the time
enWP enters its second decade.  BLP seems to be the most pressing (I
calculate 200 biographies of living people per admin, so really policing
those could become a huge drain on admin time, as it arguably is
already). Putting aside the usual comments (ArbCom is damned if it
behaves like an unadventurous committee, and damned if it doesn't; and
any proposed change needs its "activation energy" to be viable, which
individual editors can find an obstacle), we ought to be addressing the
"governance issue" or the "constitutional deficit" or the "management of
long-term content problems" - whatever your favourite formulation is -
with some courage and imagination.

Charles