[WikiEN-l] No-indexing of project-space pages

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 17:38:23 UTC 2008

> An explicit list of exemptions could reasonably grow to very large and
> it would need to be scanned for membership every time a page is
> parsed. I would be somewhat surprised if there were not >1000
> meta-categories already.  Go look at how __NOTOC__ works, that would
> be the most logical way of doing this in mediawiki.  Thoughts?

Alright, we could insert something like this into the header templates
used for non-content "meta" categories such as the examples I gave
above.

Tracking down abuses need not be so tedious. If this __NOINDEX__
symbol adds the html which tells Google-bot to move on because there's
nothing to see here... it could easily add some sort of visible
confirmation (by user preference or javascript gadget or something)
showing some kind of on/off-style symbol (NOT FAIR USE, not the
stylized [G] favicon mind you...!) to indicate whether or not the page
is indexed so you don't have to check the html manually.

—C.W.