[WikiEN-l] No-indexing of project-space pages

Chris Howie cdhowie at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 17:03:09 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 12:48 PM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> An explicit list of exemptions could reasonably grow to very large and
> it would need to be scanned for membership every time a page is
> parsed. I would be somewhat surprised if there were not >1000
> meta-categories already.  Go look at how __NOTOC__ works, that would
> be the most logical way of doing this in mediawiki.  Thoughts?

I'm not pushing a big page over a __NOTOC__ type syntax (yes, I know
what it is too).  But with a big page we would get protection
capabilities, which we would not have with a parser extension.  That
was the primary argument behind that suggestion.  It depends whether
we value protection of the noindex system more or maintainability of
the list more.

--
Chris Howie
http://www.chrishowie.com