[WikiEN-l] Okay, so what do I *do* about Tessaiga?

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Sat Jul 19 22:09:34 UTC 2008

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 13:12:36 -0700 (PDT), arromdee at rahul.net (Ken
Arromdee) wrote:

> Wikipedia has an article whose name is a mistake, but people claim
> that the article must be named that anyway because our rules say
> that we must use the most widely used English name, and the mistake
> is used more frequently than the correct name.  (This happened
> because the mistake was made by a big English-language publisher,
> so a lot of people picked it up.)

The fact that some manner of referring to something originated as an
error does not inherently prove that it's not currently correct to
use that terminology on the grounds that, despite its erroneous
origin, it is currently in more widespread use than any alternative
usage that is more technically accurate.

One theory (though disputed) as to how the city of Nome, Alaska got
its name is that a mapmaker misread an explorer's notes where he had
written "? Name" next to a spot on an older map to indicate that he
wasn't sure what that point was or ought to be named; this got
misread as "Nome" and it stuck as the official name of the place.

Also, our system of numbering years is supposedly based on the years
since the birth of Jesus, but this is currently well known to be an
incorrect count due to erroneous reasoning about when that date
actually was.  And, of course, lots of common terms such as "sunrise"
and "sunset" are incorrect by current astronomical knowledge; it's
the Earth that moves, not the Sun.

--
== Dan ==