[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia is ... free web hosting?

Peter Ansell ansell.peter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 19:55:51 UTC 2008

On 01/02/2008, John Lee <johnleemk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 31, 2008 7:48 AM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I know you keep mentioning that it shouldn't be a problem because no
> > one here pointed it out - I noticed it, didn't think it was
> > appropriate, and didn't comment because it seemed better just to
> > ignore it completely. That said, I don't know that it is really a
> > subject for AN/I to discuss.
>
> Completely seconded. My first thought when I read Peter's comment was,
> "Hey, that sounds ridiculous. No point blowing up about it, though -
> it's not exactly earthshaking that someone else has a completely
> different opinion from my own." The ANI clusterfuck was completely
> pointless.

I would have retracted the comment straight away if I thought it would
offend a specific person, but everyone thought the same thing I guess
and didn't want to provoke further discussion about it. Oh well.

> In other news, if we're going to continue on this subject on the
> mailing list, some restraint with regard to personal
> attacks/assumptions of bad faith would be nice. Explicit accusations
> of character assassination, if continued without more than vague
> evidence will probably be grounds for moderation.

Sorry, I am prone to rash statements such as that and the original
statement that caused this fiasco. The character assasination
reference basically comes from their lack of restraint in not asking
me first (and waiting for a response) before telling the community
what a bad person I have been.

Won't happen again.

Peter