[WikiEN-l] WikiEN-l Digest, Vol 54, Issue 128

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Thu Jan 31 16:35:22 UTC 2008

Mark Ryan wrote:
> With the high profile cases where administrators have been stalked in
> real life as a result of personally identifiable information they post
> on the wiki, I feel it's mad for people to post their real names, let
> alone photos of themselves, names of loved ones or photos of loved
> ones. Sure, if you stay out of trouble on the wiki the chances of such
> a thing happening is pretty slight, but there's plenty of nutcases out
> there to go around.

I don't know Lara and I haven't followed this thread, but
I would speculate that her attitude might be similar to mine:
I refuse to grant those nutcases that much power.  Some tiny
number of them exist, who have perpetrated some tiny number of
(albeit high-profile) atrocities, and now suddenly nobody else on
the entire planet can post pictures of their children to the net?
No; I defy that lopsided capitulation.