[WikiEN-l] Anthere - "take decisions yourselves" - yes please!

Brian Haws brian at bhaws.com
Sun Jan 13 17:11:29 UTC 2008

> Far from being rushed through in a six-day debate as Doc appears to
> believe, the discussion on this practical and sensible extension of
> software functionality has dragged on needlessly for years, as perfect
> an example of instruction creep as it would be possible to ask for.
>
>>Doc says
>>I say again, rollback is NOT the problem. And dismissing rollback for the
trivia it is, is beside the point.

>>The problem is saddling us with the silly distraction of making every
admin into a mini-bureaucrat empowered to make rollbacker and unmake
rollbacker. That's already leading to instruction creep, little cabals, and
people getting uppity. >>Rollback is too trivial for the type infrastructure
and debate that admin-grants necessarily creates.

>>Ending the instruction creep is simple - switch it on for all
auto-confirmed users. Or, alternatively, allow all users a >>preference to
switch it on or off for themselves.

That's been the hallmark of this whole debate since it's
appearance....people object to another bureaucratic rathole that will
certainly (and already is) being created and supporters say "it's just a
roll back tool, what's the big deal". At least a couple folks on the talk
page are honest enough to say they don't mind a little more bureaucracy...

The way this was implemented and is now being carried out has some serious
implications about how policy in general is treated on Wikipedia. But it's
just a rollback tool....