[WikiEN-l] So, has the need for consensus in wikipedia been eliminated?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 16:58:30 UTC 2008

On Jan 10, 2008 11:51 AM, Avi <avi.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> Alex, the more important point here is not the goodness or badness of
> rollback, it is the gross disregard for the wikipedia community that JuLef
> (sp?) had by implementing this procedure in the face of significant clear
> and present opposition.
[snip]

Not taking an action is itself an action.

The status quo is not that special.

Consensus is strongly preferred, sure, but why is it that you would
think a non-consensus minority-willed preservation of the status quo
is right, when a non-consensus majority-willed change is wrong?

If we reach a point where the user base is so large and diverse that
many important issues can not achieve a clear consensus by numerical
standards, what then? Shall Wikipedia be forever frozen in whatever
state it was already in by historical chance or by past unilateral
decisions?   Is that really a road to success?