[WikiEN-l] So, has the need for consensus in wikipedia been eliminated?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 16:10:06 UTC 2008

On Jan 10, 2008 10:58 AM, Majorly <axel9891 at googlemail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> Blocking is not the way to solve it.

Yea, if we used blocking to deal with people who refuse to behave
correctly then we wouldn't have per user/per page word bans, per user
protection, admin delegated upload rights, page move, and template
editing rights.

Just using blocking to throw out bad people would clearly break our
established practice of admin micromanagement of every user action.

> And your idea doesn't
> remove the idea of a "clique" - your idea is "innocent until proven guilty"
> approach - but as we've seen, it simply wouldn't work.

Right! If we followed his idea we'd have a website that everyone could
edit. That could never work. At all. Nope.
Here at Wikipedia we make everyone go through an approval process
before they can edit. Good thing we have a special editorial group
selected for their ability to choose others.

(Not that I'm opposed to the idea of having (more) user assigned user
rights ... but for rollback when even anons get undo? come on!)