[WikiEN-l] Acknowledgements sections on articles

Eugene van der Pijll eugene at vanderpijll.nl
Tue Apr 1 23:49:17 UTC 2008

Peter Ansell schreef:
> The text at the bottom of the page with a reference to another page
> which adds conditions is still quite unclear to me. If the following
> were at the bottom of each page it would eliminate the necessity to go
> to another page to discover that the license linked on the page
> contains an optional restriction which wikipedia uses.
>
> "All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation
> License version 1.1 or later with no invariant sections."

1) You mean version 1.2 there. We have no rights to distribute the major
part of our contents (everything written after June 2003) under version
1.1 of the GFDL.

2) "no invariant sections" is not a restriction. The terms at the bottom
of each page are our copyright statement: it's for re-users of our
content. It means they do not need to copy any part of the page if they
don't want to. It's a right they have.

It's a restriction for our contributors, yes. They may not add any
invariant sections. But that is on each edit page quite clearly.

Eugene