[WikiEN-l] NASA meatballs and wikipedia meatheads

Ian Woollard ian.woollard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 05:38:57 UTC 2008

Give me strength. Image deletionists are systematically going through
and deleting each and every image produced by NASA, simply because it
contains a symbol that says it's written by NASA. Apparently they
think that they might let me keep some NASA images if I more or less
pretend it was written by somebody who added it to the wikipedia by
actually removing the insignias.

Um. What?

So far as I can tell NASA have got a specific law that says you can't
fraudulently stick their (public domain!) insignia on something to
make it look like it was written by them when it wasn't, but other
than that, they very, very, very probably want you to say where you
got an image from, and the images/insignias/documents are not covered
by copyright unless they weren't done by NASA but one of their
contractors. In other words, you might be breaking the law by removing
it.

The wikipedia image guys really just absolutely have no idea what
they're doing, they have completely lost the plot.
--
-Ian Woollard

We live in an imperfectly imperfect world. If we lived in a perfectly
imperfect world things would be a lot better.