[WikiEN-l] There are no pictures in Wikipedia any more

Monahon, Peter B. Peter.Monahon at USPTO.GOV
Thu Sep 27 10:11:09 UTC 2007

>> Earlier: "...Good reading at:
>> http://www.answers.com/boredom
>> (1,553 words from Wikipedia included!)..."

> Response: "...Did you bother to
> read your reference ...hard to reconcile
> with your belief [the word "boredom"
> first entered our vocabulary in the
> mid 1800s]..."It became the ailment
> of the era during the Romantic period
> ...1848..."...However...I am bored with
> this thread..."

Woke you up, did we?  ;-)

"Boredom" is a description of a person's choice, not a description of
what they are reacting to.  You've got it accurately: *you* are "bored".

I choose not to be.

And that, I think, is the whole point of Wikipedia: come one, come all,
everyone find their niche, dig in, edit every page - it's a wiki, after
all, everyone just get along, and stay out of each other's way if you
can't coordinate - there's loads of work to be done for everyone,
somewhere at Wikipedia, without wasting time clashing, or deleting
anything (that's non-spam, non-vandalism, not off-topic, especially at
the support lists like this one).

Feeling bored?  Move *yourself* to another niche, on or off Wikipedia.
I hope to encourage people to take responsibility for their own boredom
instead of blaming it on whatever it is they are reacting to.  Sadly, I
have found that admin/sysops all too often do blame their boredom on
someone else.  Then, in an effort to overcome their own boredom, they
tend to delete and ban others, rather than move themselves on to new
horizons.  Or, getting out altogether and letting someone else, someone
with more energy, positive energy, deal with things.

Admin/sysop is a SERVICE SUPPORT job, and can be exhausting.  How do we
move people on from it when they are worn out, without hurting their
(dear dear) feelings?  How do we encourage burnt out admin/sysops to go
do something else, something creative on their own, at some point,
instead of letting them quash other's creativity when they get bored?

I suggest removing the delete/ban tool from an individual's powers, and
also limiting it short term durations, and on article pages only.  There
has to be a way for us to deal with counterproductive, anti social
behavior - on the part of admin/sysops!  There has to be a way to
encourage a balance of powers, rights, and freedoms on Wikipedia, such
that anyone who wants to pitch in is welcome, and not treated as fodder,
expendable.