[WikiEN-l] BADSITES ArbCom case in progress

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Fri Sep 21 10:18:17 UTC 2007

"Matthew Brown" wrote

> On 9/20/07, K P <kpbotany at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm afraid that I don't see the controversy in this whole thing.  I do
> > know, however, that there is no one on Wikipedia who could explain it
> > in a couple of paragraphs, with a couple of links, so that an outsider
> > not deeply enmeshed in the sourrounding intrigue might understand.
>
> I feel a lot of the controversy is about the principle of the thing,
> among those not associated with any of the particular incidents.

Two principles:

- wiki believes external linking is a basic permission
- pedia believes we are here to do a specific job, and all uses of the site's space are subordinate to doing that

We need to get recognition that external linking is only a basic permission _other things being equal_; and that administrative restrictions of some kind on the site's space are not unreasonable. enWP has 10 million pages. The AC can still tell people not to do certain things in that space. As in the Tobias Conradi case, where user space was used in a grudge-bearing fashion, and we said "oh no you don't".

Charles