[WikiEN-l] BADSITES ArbCom case in progress

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Fri Sep 21 10:09:57 UTC 2007

"David Goodman" wrote

> The
> purpose of an honest encyclopedia is to take the truth from wherever
> it appears, and to refer accurately even to the works of those who
> work against the truth.

WP only takes any from "reliable sources". Yes, we can in some sort of inverted commas take from unreliable sources, to cite things. However there is some confusion possible in there.

> If they are malicious, their maliciousness will be apparent when
> exposed. That's the basic principle of all respectable journalism. to
> hide the views of one's opponents--even one's bad faith opponents--is
> censorship.

Well, (a) WP doesn't do journalism, and (b) "censorship" is rare in Wikipedia articles, though huge amounts of material is removed because it is not properly founded on good sources. Important distinctions.

Charles