[WikiEN-l] Do NOT appeal bans, for your own sake

Monahon, Peter B. Peter.Monahon at USPTO.GOV
Thu Sep 20 18:51:46 UTC 2007

> Earlier: "... Men, as a tendency,
> are often more to-the-point
> than women..."

Peter Blaise responds: And your point?

First, it's "masculine versus feminine", not necessarily "men versus
women".  See the book:
"You Just Don't Understand: Women and Men in Conversation"
by Deborah Tannen
before going off half-cocked (so to speak - once you've read the book,
THEN you can go off half-cocked, okay?  =8^o  I say that tongue-in-cheek
- doh!)  See
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/002-6378027-3604807?
%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Deborah%20Tanne
n for more.

Second, if the one who decides what's on-topic or not is expressing
their masculine "report" talk, then it makes sense that all other
expressions - "rapport talk" - would, by definition, appear off-topic TO
THEM.  And vice versa.

Yet I put it to you that ALL conversations, report and rapport, are
essential to a healthy, growing inclusive community, especially one that
is trying to build a knowledge reference for everybody.  We all know
knowledge, like everything else, must grow or die.  If any of us try to
make Wikipedia stable, and lock it down, and ban any non-spam,
non-vandal contributors, we are killing it.

Hence my perennial cry for multiple co-moderators here and on Wikipedia,
and that no one have the power to ban, especially to resolve their own
argument with someone!

This "masculine/report versus feminine/rapport" challenge is not
imaginary and we are not alone.  See "..."Tech and Testosterone: A Data
Storage Titan Confronts Bias Claims,"...interviews with 17 former EMC
salespeople who claimed they had to work in a macho, frat-boy atmosphere
that included "locker-room antics, company-paid visits to strip clubs,
demeaning sexual remarks or retaliation against women who complained
about the atmosphere..."
http://newsletter.infoworld.com/t?ctl=1992C33:1CF88AC25C36E21990893F5BE2
0FABA2EFF29049075316B4

What's our choice for Wikipedia?