[WikiEN-l] Bans and online/offline reputation (was Re: Follow-up on my Ban from Wikipedia (part 3))

Armed Blowfish diodontida.armata at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 14 00:44:58 UTC 2007

On 13/09/2007, Matthew Brown <morven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/13/07, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
>> Fine, but where do you draw the line, or don't you draw one at all?
>> Protecting the privacy of sex offenders convicted of violent felonies
>> goes too far, in my opinion.
>
> We aren't a sex offender registry, though.
>
> -Matt

Maybe, but the 'but he deserves to suffer
because he is a horrible horrible person!'
argument does apply better to violent sex
offenders than it does to run-of-the-mill
Wikipaedia defacers, black-hat SEOs,
people promoting certain ideologies, and
the merely annoying.

Still, an eye for an eye a tooth for a tooth
makes the whole world blind and toothless,
so whether the person is a violent serial
child rapist or simply an annoying link-
spammer, using Wikipaedia's Google
rankings for vengeance isn't a good idea.