[WikiEN-l] Bans and online/offline reputation (was Re: Follow-up on my Ban from Wikipedia (part 3))

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Sep 14 04:18:57 UTC 2007

Anthony wrote:
> On 9/13/07, Armed Blowfish wrote:
>
>> Good! I support this. There should be a
>> non-public way to get BLP-related things
>> deleted.  I recall someone suggested a
>> BLP Committee.
>>
> Fine, but where do you draw the line, or don't you draw one at all?
> Protecting the privacy of sex offenders convicted of violent felonies
> goes too far, in my opinion.
When you get into issues of protecting the privacy of offenders of any
kind you put yourself in the position of needing to make judgements
about which offences negate privacy rights.  We can perhaps agree on the
extreme cases, but the borderlands are wide.  I don't know if good
objective criteria can be designed.

Ec