[WikiEN-l] Being bold doesn't work anymore, or why our prose is so bad.

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed Sep 12 22:49:20 UTC 2007

Geoffrey Burling wrote:
> I agree with you, I honestly do, but consider the challenge I face in
> my little corner of Wikipedia: it is the exception, not the rule, that
> a given placename has several spellings & at least one alternative
> name. Having only one name spelled one way per town, mountain, river --
> & even person -- would make my research much easier, let alone naming
> articles.
> [...]
> If you can come up with a better way to provide this information than
> using those ugly parantheses, I'm all ears. But until then, I'll stick
> with them. At least it's consistent, so if someone does come up with
> a better way, it'll be much simpler to fix.

One method I like is to move it to its own section once it gets past
some subjective "too unwieldy" limit. For example, look at how [[Muammar
al-Gaddafi]] handles the zillions of transliteration variations: In a
separate "name" section (section 9 currently), not in the intro or
anywhere near it.

-Mark