[WikiEN-l] Being bold doesn't work anymore, or why our prose is so bad.

Geoffrey Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Wed Sep 12 20:35:20 UTC 2007

On 8 Sept K P wrote:
> On 9/7/07, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 9/8/07, K P <kpbotany at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Use of parenthetical remarks in the intro paragraph is leading to
> > > these streams of other language words so long you can't find the
> > > introductory sentence--although they look less paranthetical when
> > > they're 27 words longer than the containing sentence.
> >
> > I guess I find this elegant:
> >
> > John Smith (1864-1899) was a....
> >
> > but you're right, this becomes heavy:
> > John Smith (born 1864 London, died 1899 Tunbridge Wells, England) was a...
> >
> > Birth and death dates are fundamental to any biography. Birth and
> > death locations can wait till later in the article.
> >
> I could compromise on years alone, but it's a give em 8 digits and a
> dash, and they'll take a dozen locations and alternative spellings
> situation.

I agree with you, I honestly do, but consider the challenge I face in
my little corner of Wikipedia: it is the exception, not the rule, that
a given placename has several spellings & at least one alternative
name. Having only one name spelled one way per town, mountain, river --
& even person -- would make my research much easier, let alone naming
articles.

Part of the problem is that there is no standardized method of
transliterating words from the Ethiopian script, & the rest of the
problem is that every nationality often has its own name for many places
in that country. And these differences in transliteration are often
not trivial: last week I wrote an article on a village whose name has
been spelled "Imi", "Imay" & "Hinna". (All are in relatively common use.)
Even the capital of that country, Addis Ababa, has its own variant
spelling (Addis Abeba), & a common alternative name (Finfinne -- what
the largest nationality in Ethiopia insist the city should be called).
Follow what the experts do? Well, the experts also differ amongst
themselves, but add th ecomplication of unicode characters; further,
I've seen more than expert spell the same town or landmark different
ways in different books. This could be a real mess if it weren't for
the fact the few of us working on that topic tend to be rather
easy-going about the issue -- & by default, I get to make the decisions
because I'm writing the articles.

If you can come up with a better way to provide this information than
using those ugly parantheses, I'm all ears. But until then, I'll stick
with them. At least it's consistent, so if someone does come up with
a better way, it'll be much simpler to fix.

Geoff