[WikiEN-l] stable versions

Grease Monkee welloiledmachine at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 06:57:14 UTC 2007

On 9/8/07, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:

But in this one particular instance of the stable version feature, I
> must admit that I have become tremendously frustrated by how long
> something like this been promised but not delivered.

Stable versions doesn't need a single new line of code - only the will of
the community to implement it (and maybe some leadership). Sure, software
can help, but the community is hardly in a position to blame developers for
not giving the community a spine.

some questions-

* Have our best featured article writers, photographers and content creators
been involved in specifying what the stable version feature entails? If not,
who has decided what a stable version should be?

* Where is the documentation of what, exactly, a stable version should be?
If it doesn't exist, or hasn't been tested and widely evaluated, how can
software for it be written?

* What's the wisdom of implementing a feature like this without running some
simple trials (mind numbingly simple, actually) - like protecting a vetted
article and sending new editing to a subpage - and then asking our best
content creators to evaluate the process and write a procedure for revision
rolls?

I don't expect it's