[WikiEN-l] The more I think about my ban from Wikipedia, the more I realize how wrong it was.

Armed Blowfish diodontida.armata at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 5 23:25:29 UTC 2007

On 05/09/07, Vee <vee.be.me at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/09/07, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>>
>> Adrian wrote:

>>> Isn't this list moderated?
>> If Vee knows not to take this too far that shouldn't be necessary.
>> After our long thread about moderation you should know that many of us
>> like to give members some leeway instead of crying for blood on the
>> least minor offence.
>>
>> Ec
>
> no i don't want to take this thread too far. it's just that flameviper has
> posted on the mailing list before about it and caused the typical arguing,
> drama etc.

Well, let's see, you did call him a troll after
he clearly stated he was offended that he
had been called a troll....

What is a troll?  Someone who is enjoys
the negative attention that comes with this
sort of thing.  Hey, if he enjoyed it, you'd
love him as the sadist loves the masochist.
And doesn't everyone love an Epicurean,
who could enjoy just anything?

But then if he's not a troll, you're telling him
he enjoyed the things that actually upset
him, which is rather dehumanising.

> what does he want? an apology on behalf of wikipedia? there's nothing we can
> *realistically* do for him. nearly every banned user feels that they are
> banned unfairly. he used sockpuppets abusively. what more is there to it? if
> he doesn't want to edit again... well, i just don't see the issue.

Come now, be more creative.  List of things
a banned user might want besides being
able to edit again:
* A chance to respond to criticism and/or
   attacks.
* Removal of attacks or otherwise hurtful
   material via courtesy blankings/deletions.
* Right to Vanish (account renaming et. al.).
* A sympathetic ear.
* To try to stop others from getting hurt
   as they have been hurt by raising
   awareness of the pain.
* I'm sure there are other possibilities....

> he was blocked nearly three months ago now.. if he wants to edit he can make
> an account and do so quietly. if he doesn't he should just move on.

Like I said, he might want something other
than being able to edit.