[WikiEN-l] Fromowner

geni geniice at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 20:16:22 UTC 2007

On 05/09/07, Matthew Brown <morven at gmail.com> wrote:
> Some of the criticisms are more intelligent, though; they accept the
> validity of working for free (as they point out, pro bono work has
> been done by professionals forever), but they are down on contests;
> the point being all the wasted effort.  It's one thing to work for
> free if your work is going to be used, it's another to work for free
> for your work to be thrown out.
>
> Personally I think the amount of crap that a designer would have to
> take from fractious Wikipedians deserves pay.  No matter what changes
> get proposed, someone loud is going to hate it.

Worse than that. They stress the importance of working with the
customer. The problem is that in this case in order to get reasonable
results the customer would have to be the community which looks ok
until you realise to get a simple question answered will take months
and the answer will be long messy and written in the kind of language
that a political spin doctor would probably think of as going to far.

--
geni